Connecticut Peace and Solidarity Coalition (CPSC)
Activated For a Better World

CONFERENCE: Retooling The Ct War Economy: How We Can Build Good, Green Jobs & Infrastructure For Human Needs & Peace

The cities of Connecticut are running on empty. State government is desperate for funds. The greatest wealth gap in the nation is in Connecticut – one of the richest states in the richest country in human history.

What’s going on here?

At one time Connecticut had a hugely diverse manufacturing base. It now depends on manufacturing handouts from the Pentagon. Today, 69% of the Federal discretionary budget – what Congress votes on every year – now goes to weapons and war. That leaves 31% to be split up among transportation, labor, health, education, housing, environment and so on.

Connecticut’s full Congressional delegation annually votes more and more money to the weapons and war budget. Connecticut’s governor and state legislators applaud every “gun” that is made here.

But every job created in weapons manufacturing displaces two jobs in creating civilian goods and services.

And now the climate warming crisis demands that we convert from fossil fuels to sustainable energy. We must retool the weapons and fossil-fuel industries. Please join us at our Conference

Middlesex Community College, Chapman Hall
Saturday, November 9th
12 noon to 4PM
Free & open to all, lunch provided

Download a Flier => here

CONFERENCE: Retooling The Ct War Economy: How We Can Build Good, Green Jobs & Infrastructure For Human Needs & Peace

Program:

Keynote: Medea Benjamin, peace & justice activist

Panel 1: Background of CT War Economy
Moderator Jim Brasile, Veterans for Peace
Panelists.
Miriam Pemberton, focuses on building the foundations of a postwar economy
David Ionno, Veteran and broadcaster
Mitch Linck, Veteran, peace and climate activist

break

Panel 2: Building Movements to ReTool CT Economy
Moderator Jen Brown
Panelists.
Jeremy Brecher, historian, documentary filmmaker, activist, author
Denise Tillman, youth organizer
Henry Lowendorf, peace activist

Wrapup
Bahman Azad, peace and justice activist

For more information:
skrevisky@mxcc.edu
Steve: 860-759-3699

Download a Flier => here

Related articles

International Days of Action Against Sanctions and Economic War, March 13-15, 2020: International Days of Action Against Sanctions and Economic War, March 13-15, 2020

In 1996, soon-to-become Secretary of State Madeleine Albright was asked by CBS’ Leslie Stahl on TV’s 60 Minutes if the death of 500 thousand Iraqi children was worth the price of US sanctions. Albright answered, yes, it was. The killing sanctions by the Clinton administration in the 1990s failed to overthrow Iraq’s Saddam Hussein, so […]

Connecticut’s 74th Anniversary Remembrance of Hiroshima / Nagasaki Atomic Bombs

Amid a backdrop of ongoing tensions over alleged nuclear weapons programs in Iran, known nuclear weapons programs in North Korea, Congress voting to weaken nuclear nonproliferation safeguards in a deal with India, and the United States abandoning its international commitments with funding for new forms of nuclear weapons, the Connecticut Peace and Solidarity Coalition, HopeOutLoud, […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *